Pen Y Gwryd Hotel

Capel Curig tourist information and accommodation guide - hotels, guest houses, bed & breakfast, camp sites and self catering cottages, shops, places to eat, outdoor pursuits, attractions and much more

{short description of image}

Situated in the heart of the Snowdonia National Park the PYG provides an ideal base to explore the majesty of the region. Mountaineers have congregated at this hotel for generations including the 1953 Everest team whom used it as a training base before the expedition.
Pen Y Gwryd
Nant Gwynant

North Wales
LL55 4NT
Tel: 01286 870211
Please ring for Tariff
Click here for more info on our own web site

The earliest inhabitants of this site were the Romans. The remains of their camp can still be seen today. However, in more recent times a farmhouse was built by a John Roberts in 1810 / 1811, though there was undoubtedly a cottage here before that. The farm became an inn and was sold to a Mrs Hughes whom owned the "Royal Hotel" at Capel Curig (now Plas y Brenin). Then in 1847 Harry Owen took on the lease and eventually purchased the freehold in 1858. It was Harry Owen, with his wife Ann Pritchard, whom extended the original building into what it is today. Their stewardship also laid the foundations for its current success by providing good food, good drink and good company. Climbers and walkers began to congregate and its fame spread.

Harry Owen died in 1891 and Ann in 1896. The ownership then passed through various hands untill 1906 when Wiliam Hampson took over. The hotel was extended further and was managed by a Florence Blooomfield, whom married a guest in 1909, one Arthur Lockwood. Lockwood, purchased the hotel in 1921. He was reponsible for extending the hotel even further and for the construction the lake opposite. In addition to these he constructed a trout hatchery to stock the lake and converted the stable to the garages that exist today.

During the war the hotel was taken over by the Lake House School from Bexhill-on-Sea. and in 1944 sold to Owen Ribbett, However the following three years did not go smoothly and the hotel was put up for auction. It was bought by Leslie Mather and Jo and Chris Briggs. Over the next few years the hotel slowly regained its previous glory and its reputation grew as the centre of mounatainering in the area.

Further details of the PYG can be found in "A Scrapbook of Snowdonia" by Vernon Hall. - available at the Hotel.

Facilities at the PYG
Rooms Facilities Meals

15 double rooms,1 single

Lounge,smoke room, bar

Breakfast served at 8.50 am

6 with private bathroom

Sauna and natural swimming pool

Bar lunches from 12 to 2 o'clock

1 ground floor annex with bathroom

Games room with a pool table, darts and table tennis.

Bar open 12 am to 11 pm (10.30pm Sundays)

5 public bathrooms

Fishing nearby.

Teas and coffee all day.

No Smoking in the dining room.and discouraged in bedrooms. {short description of image}
The Victorian Bath.
Evening meals at 7.30pm

Vegetarian meals and packed lunches available - order at breakfast.

For reservations and further information phone 01286 870211

Please book by Telephone or post. It is advisable to book early for weekends.

Opening Times

Jan - Feb Friday, Saturday to Sunday am only
March to October Every day
Nov - Dec Closed

Directions to the Pen y Gwryd :

The PYG is situated at the junction of the A498 and A4086. OS Sheet 115, map Reference 660558.

By Road : Follow the A5 to Capel Curig and then turn onto the A4086 signposted to Llanberis and Beddgelert. The Hotel is about 5 miles on the right hand side.

By Train: The nearest main station is Bangor,there are hourly buses from Bangor to Llanberis. A taxi costs around £20

By Bus : During the summer months an intermitant service runs from Llanberis to the PYG.